Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bieberliscious


Today I am thankful that I have an 11 year old friend who legitimizes my presence at the Justin Bieber movie. I'm not saying that it is wrong for a 28 year old woman to go to the Justin Bieber movie, but I will say that it is wierd. I'm not going to lie. I did kinda want to see this movie. I've keep up with the Biebsters career since near the beginning of Biebermania about a year and a half ago. I have a heart for this kid. Partly because he's from my old stomping grounds in small-town Ontario, partly because he's actually talented, partly because my sister is OBSESSED with him, and partly because I think he is a decent kid.

After spending two hours in a theatre with him (it was after all 3-D), I'd like to re-iterate my standing that J.B is a decent kid. Now I know how movies work. They can edit things, and script things and make people look good or bad. But a kid and his mom who throughout the movie pray numerous times (including during sickness, before concerts, and while out with pizza with his buddies), he gets my vote. He doesn't swear, is not man-skanky, dresses appropriately, dances well, and learned to play music at a church.... I don't know about you... but that, combined with his small town upbringing make him legitimate. And dag-nab it, regardless of your choice of lyrics and style - his songs are catchy!

One time after leaving a Miley Cyrus movie (and singing and dancing to one of the songs), someone asked me, "Nikki, don't you think it's a little pathetic that you are a grown woman and you know all the words to all the songs in that Miley Cyrus movie?" I thought for a quick second and then responded, "No. Not at all. Honestly, as part of my calling as a teacher and a youth pastor, I need to keep up on what is relevant. I need to be able to connect to 12 year olds. And if that means I can sing along with Miley, or Justin or the Jonas Brothers, than that’s what I’ll do.” The quick witted someone remarked, “Does being relevant mean you have to know all the dance moves too?”


Anyways, the purpose of this post was to give my teaching-pastoring-researching-Christ Following- seal of approval for Justin Bieber. I like this kid. And I sincerely pray that as he grows up he won’t turn into another one of those talking the talk but can’t walk the walk Hollywood Teens (and yeah, that’s right, I’m pointing at you Katie Perry).

2 comments:

Grackalicious Benz said...

Well said.

Louise said...

He looks like a girl in this picture.