Monday, June 25, 2007

10 months later

So school is winding down - only two more days and then it is summer vacation and I have been noticing how well I have gotten to know my students over the last ten months - and them me. They think they are SO clever and it always makes me smirk just a little bit on the inside. I know that when one student thinks the work is too hard, he will refuse to do it. I know that another one needs constant affirmation about the trivialest things, I know that another student thinks she is smarter than the rest of the class, but really isn't. I know that almost all of them have no concept of "Miss. G and Mrs. Huckulak are the authority in the classroom" They all will do whatever they want to do whenever they want to do it. It gets tiring.

The students know how to soften me up when I am frustrated with them. They know that when I get really frustrated and either talk too loudly in anger, or too softly in exasperation that I have reached my wits end and am going 'bonkers'. They will sweetly put up their hand and say things like:

"Miss. Gerrits, you look pretty today"
"Miss. G, I like your shirt. It is nice"
"Mrs. Gerrupps, You are the best teacher ever!"
and my favourite from today:
"Miss G, I changed my mind today. You are my favouritest teacher ever now!"

Thanks very much. That means alot from someone who has had all of two other teachers in their life. And you still have a detention for hitting your desk partner.

No comments: