Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Always Friends

Today's post is a shout-out to my old best friends from Ontario.

It's strange to think that I met them almost 10 years ago, and despite my trampsing around the globe, and my home in beautiful British Columbia, we are still good friends. Friends that laugh, and talk and visit, and pray for each other and send love out across the miles.

I'm so blessed to have these two women in my life, and their husbands too, even though they tend to conveniently disappear whenever I visit so that we can have girl time together. I love that they still think of me and send me funny video's and packages and call me and keep me informed of their life. I'm not gonna lie, I get jealous that they get to see each other all the time, but then I think about how much sweeter our reunions are when we do get to get together.

Here are my top 10 favourite times in our friendship history.

1. the Krispy Kreme Snow Day. When school was cancelled (despite the fact that everyone lived within 200 meters of the school) and yet somehow the school's mission team made the drive from Burlington to Hamilton to deliver all the Krispy Kreme fundraiser doughnuts they had sold. We ate a lot that day. Christy ate more. Ridiculous things ensued. I remember a guitar string being turned into a certain type of hat, our mattresses in the living room, some royal rumbling, some wigs and hats from the drama department, and a few not-so-thought out impersonations of Jacob Moon.
2. Karmyn's wedding.
3. Karmyn's batchelorette party.
4. Meeting up with SB and Jacci last May for the funnest 6 hours of my life. A special thank you to Karmyn's hoarding skills and the fact that she had four years worth of Bod Books.
5. The epic prank on Mark Sinke's dorm. Included in this: staying up all night, hoarding jello for months, the lobster.
6. All the Redeemer banquets.
7. Winning the Hobbies for Hilltop auction - our limo ride and the cornish game hen dinner.
8. Fhwquhwgads, Bannana Hands and Trogdor.
9. When Christy didn't tell me and SB that she was engaged, but conveniently sat in our living room using her left hand for everything for an HOUR until we noticed the ring. And then we had conniption fits.





So this is my suggestion - nay, my challenge to you. Do you have a friend or two that you love? Keep them. Even if it is hard. Even if it is expensive. Even if distance separates you. Even if sometimes your lives are so totally different that it seems you have nothing in common. Persevere in your friendships. I have a group of people who I don't talk to often, but yet still remain my good friends. People I can call whenever, for fun, for help, for advice. It means a lot to me that they are part of my life. It means so much to me that I'm going to share their names on my blog. Because everyone know that to get a shout out on my blog is the highest honour anyone can achieve. Nobel prize? Pffft. Nikki's Blog? Hells yeah!

Dear Karmyn, Christy, SB, Jacci, Steven, Rob J.
I love you.
Thanks for being my always-friends.

4 comments:

Christy B said...

this blog sure meant a lot to me.

thanks for the reminders of some of our awesome times...and the pictures sure bring back memories. We did a lot of AWESOME stuff when you think about it all together....hahaha these posts made me laugh a LOT

i really do LOVE you and miss you a lot too. I still consider you a great friend and even tho I suck at keeping in touch you are very dear to me and in my prayers.

I only just returned the pants I had to borrow from K after I spilled my whole coke on my pants last May. that was a GREAT day. hahhahahaaa

so many memories!!!

thanks for the shout out ;D

Anonymous said...

*sigh.
Love this. Thanks for the shout out! And I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with all that you've said - forever friends are the best kind.
And we DO have amazing memories together...here's to the next 10 years!

Although I can't believe you didn't mention our "8 at 8" dinner date!!

Love you.

Nikki Gerrits said...

8 at 8!!! I TOTALLY Forgot about that. But if memory serves me correct, that was part of the Krispy Kreme Snow Day.

Rod and Bec said...

I re-found you! Hip hip hooray!
I will probably be blog-stalking you for the next little while.
I hope you are doing well.
Rebecca S.