Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Score one for the Teacher!


So, I guess the rule is: in order to be a good blogger, you have to blog every day. I don't know that I agree, but I think a few times a week is sufficient.

Today I took my grade five class to Harper Moutain for a day of skiing and snowboarding. I promised them that if they chose to ski, that they would be skiing by themselves by lunchtime and be having a great time. I promised them that if they chose to snowboard for their first time, that they would not have fun or learn how to snowboard by the end of the day.

I'm a snowboarder. I like it a lot. But you have to be willing to invest some serious time into learning how to do it. At least three to four days of falling down and figuring out how it works. Every year there is one student who does not heed my (may I say expert) advice. Not to rub it in or anything (well... not too much anyways...) but he/she did not have fun snowboarding and switched to skiing after lunch. Bwahaaa. Score 1 for the teacher! Seriously people/students/everyone, sometimes (just sometimes) I actually do know what I'm talking about and you should listen to me.


I had a great day with myself and my students and the parents that came along. I got in some excellently wonderful runs, enjoyed being outside, didn't get hurt (too much... I mean I am pushing 30 now and am not as young and spry as I used to be). It was awesome to hang out with my students and help them learn a new skill and see their joy at their success. It was also awesome to have a free day skiing - that I got paid for. :D

No comments: