Saturday, December 08, 2012

The Bethlehem Star

Yesterday near the end of the day, I was invited to do two things I love to do. Take a random, last minute road trip, and go see something I had never seen before.

So after school, after running home to put on my long underwear, I headed to Vernon to see The Bethlehem Star. A live-nativity story at Emmanuel Baptist Church.

People. Hear me, hear me, it was amazing! When you arrive you are ushered through a Bethlehem market place complete with a bag of shekles that you can use to buy things, animals, 50 stalls of vendors selling everything you would expect to find in Bethlehem, music, and Roman soldiers.




After the chaos of the market place you end up in the Roman-Games, where I totally won a prize for killing a rubber chicken by slingshotting a marshmallow at it's head.

Then to the photo-booth where they dressed you up a-la-Mary-and-Joseph.
I picked the gnarly rooster as my prop. I thought that would be awesome.
After the market and the games, everyone went into the church for a 15 minute Nativity play followed by hot chocolate, cookies, and approximately 20 scenes of frozen people portraying scenes from the Christmas story as well as scenes of how people spend Christmas. They were frozen, and amazing. The only way you could tell that the people weren't mannequins was because you could see them breathing or their eyes move once in a while. It was phenomenal.


It was seriously a great night out. And all completely free! The church did such an amazing job with this outreach and I'm totally going again next year. Super cool.

2 comments:

Grackiedoo said...

Jeff and I are totally going to this next year too! Wow, what an amazing concept and such an awesome thing to do!

Janice said...

Went yesterday afternoon with my grandchildren. Spectacular!!