Thursday, November 15, 2012

Poutine

This past weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Calgary Alberta. And when I say 'opportunity' I actually mean, I ended up there kinda randomly. But that is another story. Despite how and why I was there, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

a. Because gas was $1.05/l as opposed to the $1.31/l in BC
b. Because I got to go to Swiss Chalet for the first time in YEARS
c. Because I got to see my dear, good, awesome, friend Lillian
d. Because I got to go snowboarding at Lake Louise

Be jealous of it all. Because it was amazing.

The highlight was spending time with Lillian. Whom I love. Whom I met in a parking lot six years ago, and consider one of my bestest people. The only thing we disagree on is food. Lillian loves any and all ethnic foods, me, not so much. Give me mashed potatoes and gravy any day. On Sunday we were driving around Calgary trying to find somewhere to eat. Lillian kept suggesting Thai, Vietnameese, Sushi, Korean, all sorts of random ethnic foods. I just wanted something straight-up Canadian.

We found a resturaunt called "The National" which, conveniently enough, was a Canadian resturaunt that only served traditionally ethnic Canadian food. Corn dogs, burgers, pork, maple-flavoured-everything etc.

Now, I consider myself a proud Canadian. I love this country that I live in, the freedoms we have here, our land, our diversity, and our food. Including our national dish - poutine. But I had NO idea that you could order the following types of poutine:

 


No comments: