Saturday, May 12, 2012

Laundry Room

One of the downsides of being poor is that I do not have my own house. I want one. So bad. And the thing that happened last Saturday made me want one even more.

If I had my own house, I'd have my own washing machine and dryer.

I wouldn't have to share. With anyone. Especially strange boys.

Normally doing laundry in our shared laundry room is not a problem for me. Sure it's annoying to walk 500 yards to the room carting bags of laundry (because lets face it, I'm not organized enough to set aside one night a week for laundry, so when I do get around to it, I have three loads to do). Making sure I have the right change is also always a challenge, but I've been doing my laundry like this since College. (I just realized that was 10 years ago. Ok, now I REALLY want my own house). USUALLY I can do my laundry, things are fine, I never run into anyone awkwardly, all is good.

If you are unaware, laundry room ettiquite means that if you do not get to your laundry as soon as your load is done, if someone else needs your machine, they are allowed to take your laundry out and put it on the counter so they can use the machine. This is normal. I accept this. And 100% of the time our laundry room is so quiet that it is never a problem.

Until last Saturday.

When it became a problem.

I was late getting to the dryer and as I walked in I saw a man removing my laundry from the dryer so he could use it. I sheepishly told him that it was mine and proceeded to load it into my laundry bag.

Sheepish?
A problem?

See... I probably wouldn't have been so awkward, embarrassed or sheepish if it was just a regular load of laundry. But this load was 100% "delicates" if you know what I'm saying.... I'm a single, quite modest, young lady and the stuff that man was touching was stuff that no one has ever seen or touched except me.

No comments: