Monday, April 16, 2012

11 Course Meal

This weekend I had the privilege of being hired to host this event:

It was awesome! Seriously, unreal. When I got the e-mail about this event I knew right away that I HAD to be the one to host the event. I've been passionate about Titanic since elementary school - pre-James-Cameron-Movie, which to me is mark of a true Titanic fan.

The event was an 11-course meal that was based on the actual last meal that was served on the ship. The food was amazing (yes, I did get to eat it), and the staff at the Brownstone was super friendly and nice and really made my time working with them enjoyable.
And now for the best part. My costume. Seriously, I'm adorable. I look 4 feet high, but stinking adorable. I love dressing up. Don't so much love my corset, but I wear it and it makes me look good in costumes like this. My job was to greet guests that came and provide them with a character card that was an actual person that was aboard the Titanic. The card told them about the passenger and was the role they were to play throughout the evening. Later in the night I told them if their person lived or survived.
Between each course I did a little speech about the Titanic. I started with the basic anatomy of the ship, talked about the different classes, the crew, the hitting of the ice berg, the sinking and the aftermath. It was challenging for me not to come up with information about Titanic, but to make it interactive and fun. I mean, it is a tragedy, and you don't want to ignore that fact, but you also don't want to dwell on it either. But, after quite a bit of thinking and brainstorming, I found some ways to get the audience to interact with the information, found some fun stories, and was able to make people laugh at the right times, and be serious at the right times. My bosses at the Brownstone thought I did fantastic, and the Mayor's wife even Tweeted about how great I was at hosting the event. I feel that is a good compliment on how well I did.
Hair. and back of the dress. The dress was based on an actual 1912 pattern and fit me perfectly!
A couple at one of the tables was so impressed with me that they bought me a drink at the end of the night. This is me relaxing with it by the kitchen. By the end of each night I was usually exhausted. All night, on my feet, in heels, public speaking, talking with customers, it was really fun, but exhausting at the same time.

I seriously had an awesome time. The customers that came were tons of fun. Many of them dressed up, and played the part and had questions for me and talked and joked around and just had a great time. Everyone was super impressed with the event that the Brownstone put on, including me.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Your hair looked like Rose's did! Kind of!