Wednesday, May 11, 2011

That Must Have Been Embarrassing.

This morning I remembered a time, about a year ago, when I felt really awkward for someone. I felt really awkward, but at the same time I was laughing so hard inside that I could barely wait until I was not in public anymore so that I could loudly - and obnoxiously - laugh out loud.

It all started at my 'awesome party' . I brought out the most awesome book I have ever seen. Dancing With Cats. It is basically a book about people who dance with their cats. It is a totally serious book, but if you are even slightly normal, it is impossible to read this book without laughing. And we laughed. Hard.

A few weeks later, a pastor friend of mine asked to borrow my Dancing With Cat's book to use as a sermon illustration. My first thought was, "That will make your sermon hilarious, but how the heck in the world can you use Dancing With Cat's as a sermon illustration?!?!?" He went on to tell me that he was going to be preaching about how people idolize things in their life that should not come before God. It's a stretch, but ok.

I was so stoked to see my book used in church, that I cheated on my own church and attended his for the morning with a few friends. This was my friends last time preaching at his church as he was moving to another job within the week. We told him we were going to support him.... but actually I wanted to see my book being used.

Then, sermon time came. And my friend started talking about idols, and then showed the book and went on quite a tangent about how ridiculous it is. And then....

And then he said this. And I quote, "Seriously people! This is ridiculous! Dancing with cats! Who does that? Do any of you do that?"

And four hands in the congregation went up.

Oh the awkwardness.
Oh the funnieness.
Oh the strangness that people in my community do this!

I'd like to tell you that my friend made a good save, that he redeemed himself. But remember, it was his last day at this job, he didn't have to impress anyone. And somehow, in his mind, it was appropriate to say, "Really? Well... you're wierd. Dancing with cats is wierd. Get a real hobby."

Oh, I'm dying laughing just thinking about it.

3 comments:

aDORKable said...

hahaha! Nicki, you're my hero :) -Manda

Jonathan Kornelsen said...

As we look at history, and the world that we live we can tell that people have a deep thirst for spirituality…. And so often we see people turn to these other “Spiritual” rituals and practices when right in front of them is the one true thing that they need and that’s Jesus. People will dance with their cats because they think its spiritual, People will put there leg behind their head and remain frozen in that position because they think it will bring transendence….. the only thing that it brings is eternal suffering and a cramp in your leg, and cat hair everywhere.

The only thing that these spritual things bring… Is suffering because there is no HOPE in anything other than JESUS. That my friends is the only thing that will satisfy our thirst….

Anonymous said...

Really? people shouldn't dance with their cats because jesus is more important? That's rediculous, no?